Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Travel and Arrival in Scotland

 British Isles Lightning Round: Travel, Glasgow, and Edinburgh (Day One)

Jacob R. Orr

Despite being well over 8 hours of travel, the last two days have gone surprisingly smoothly. I think the lowest point thus far has been leaving Pittsburgh, where I was utterly exhausted after the car ride and multi hour wait in the airport. I managed to catch a few winks on the cross-Atlantic plane and felt okay when we hit the ground in London-Heathrow.

The flight the Glasgow was nigh nonexistent as I was in and out of sleep that whole time too. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was fantastic, even if we did have only a half hour or so to explore it. I took lots of great pictures, including a few on the weapons and military art during the Jacobite rising of Waverley fame.

An 18th century Scottish Target Shield and Broadsword. The Broadsword’s hilt is engraved with Jacobite slogan’s and an image of James Stuart I.


By far the coolest item I saw was a series of stained glass window panels from 1921, made by a famed Scottish glass maker and artist. The panels depict the coronation of the Virgin Mary by God and are done in a stunning Irish art style.




As I write this I am awaiting today’s goings on in Edinburgh (or ‘Edinbrah’ as I have been told to pronounce it) with bated breath. Here’s to another great day in the old country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip Reflection Blogpost

Home Again: Final Reflection Post  Jacob R. Orr     It's hard to express how I am feeling now. Melancholic might be the right term. But ...