Thursday, May 18, 2023

Scotland Blogpost 02

 Scotland Day Two and Farewell

Jacob R. Orr

I’m quite content with my time in Edinburgh. It has been both illuminating and nostalgic. Just yesterday, I visited Edinburgh’s old town and the world famous castle. Walking the castle grounds was particularly potent in awakening memories I had long thought forgotten. I was able to recreate an old photo of myself beside one of the guns at the Half-Moon battery. I don’t have the 2005 original on hand but I am sure they are very similar.

I also got a thorough exploration of the Royal Mile thanks to our wonderful tour guide Charles (who revealed himself to be a fellow fan of The Clash!). The old town is simply gorgeous, the buildings that are narrow but tall really appeal to me. My friends and I also visited the Writer’s Museum which was both an informative dive into some of Edinburgh’s most famous writers as well as the architecture of the nobility in the old town.



Today I traveled with my group off to the Kelpies at Helix Park. It was definitely an interesting and unexpected outing. I’m certain my mother would have approved based on her love of both horses and sculpture. Later in the day my companions and I climbed Calton Hill, which was about as arduous as I remember it being 18 years ago.





We then saw the Scottish Museum which was phenomenal. I wish I had a whole week in Edinburgh just to explore that location. I was, however, satisfied by the many works of Scottish artwork and the rich history they reveal. Of particular interest were the famous Lewis Chess Men and many dozens of beautiful stone carvings. There was also a surprisingly extensive collection of Roman artifacts produced during the empire’s brief occupation of southern Scotland.




It was altogether a wonderful two days and I am quite sad to be leaving Edinburgh behind. London is certainly going to be interesting but I’m nowhere near as excited about it as I am for Edinburgh. A cabby I rode with today voiced my sentiments saying something to the effect of: “London is nice but it’s not quite so friendly as Edinburgh. Not quite as cozy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip Reflection Blogpost

Home Again: Final Reflection Post  Jacob R. Orr     It's hard to express how I am feeling now. Melancholic might be the right term. But ...