Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Introductory Blog

FSAT Fiction of the Capital Cities: Travel Blog

Introductory Blog

Hello.

My name is Jacob Orr, but everybody calls me River. It's a long story. I'm 22, turning 23 during this class. I'm a History major and creative writing minor here at Mercyhurst and this semester should be my last tour of duty. It took a lot to get here to Erie. I was born in Indianapolis, Indiana but spent most of my early childhood in Tallahassee, Florida. In 2008, my family moved to Fairview, here in PA. Again in 2016 we moved, this time to Edinboro. To keep things simple, I tell most people I'm an Erie person.

Our trip to the UK and Ireland this May is by no means my first international trip. In fact, it'll be my fourth trip to the British Isles overall. The earliest excursion to the Old Country was in 2005 when I went with my extended family to Edinburgh, Scotland. I visited London for the first time in 2012 and again when my brother went off to college in 2015. I've seen lots of the United States and several European cities like Paris, Prague, Florence, Rome, Venice, and Zurich. By far my most adventurous trip was in 2019 when I accompanied a group of Edinboro graduate students on a humanitarian mission in rural Thailand.

None of that is to say I am not looking forward to heading back to the UK and I am certainly excited to see Ireland for the first time. I also look forward to getting to know you all in the weeks to come!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip Reflection Blogpost

Home Again: Final Reflection Post  Jacob R. Orr     It's hard to express how I am feeling now. Melancholic might be the right term. But ...